Recipients of the 56th Awards of Excellence
Announcement from Canadian Architect :
“We are proud to announce the winners of the 2023 Canadian Architect Awards of Excellence. We had a strong response to the program this year, including 160 project submissions to the professional Awards of Excellence program and 34 submissions to the Photo Awards of Excellence program. The work of 24 thesis students was nominated by schools of architecture from across Canada.
Jurors Omar Gandhi, Claire Weisz, and Michael Heeney selected five Awards of Excellence winners, eight Award of Merit winners, and three Student Award of Excellence winners. They were joined by photo juror Jacqueline Young to select two Photo Award of Excellence winners.
This year’s winners are featured in the December issue of Canadian Architect. The full jury commentary can be viewed here.
Here are this year’s winners:
Awards of Excellence
- The National Centre for Indigenous Laws by a Collaborative Partnership between Two Row Architect (Prime), Teeple Architects Inc., and Low Hammond Rowe Architects
- Nelson Pier by MBAC (Urban Design) and SOA (Architect of Record)
- Frog Lake First Nations’ Children & Family, Intervention/Prevention Horse Healing Centre by Reimagine Architects Ltd.
- Don Mills Jamatkhana and Ismaili Community Centre by architects—Alliance
- The New Vic, McGill University by Diamond Schmitt/Lemay Michaud Architectes
Awards of Merit
- The Marianne and Edward Gibson Art Museum by Hariri Pontarini Architects and Iredale Architecture
- Triptych by Leckie Studio Architecture + Design
- Indigenous House by Formline Architecture in association with LGA Architectural Partners with Public Work
- Dawes Road Library & Community Hub by Perkins&Will and Smoke Architecture
- Inuusirvik Community Wellness Hub by Lateral Office (Design Architect), Verne Reimer Architecture Inc. (Prime Consultant)
- John Innes Community Recreation Centre by MJMA Architecture & Design
- El Aleph – Main House by MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects Limited
Student Awards of Excellence
- Toronto’s Terrestrial Reefs by Cameron Penney, Carleton University
- Kushirikiana Architectural Guide by Jonathan Kabumbe, Laurentian University
- The Third Space by Kaamil Allah Baksh, University of Manitoba
Photo Awards of Excellence
- CAPO by James Brittain
- Creating the Landmark Project: Structural Framework by Salina Kassam
On behalf of the magazine and the jurors, we wish to extend thanks to all of our readers who participated in this year’s awards program, and congratulations to all of this year’s winners.”