49e Awards of Excellence | KANVA primés deux fois d’un « Award of Excellence » + Provencher_Roy d’un « Award of Merit »
« At an awards ceremony held at IIDEX this evening, Canadian Architect announced the winners of the 2016 Awards of Excellence, given each year to architects and architectural graduates for buildings in the design stage. 2016 marks the 49th anniversary of the Awards of Excellence, which have recognized significant building projects in Canada since 1968.
This year’s winners have been selected by a jury consisting of Patricia Patkau, founding principal of Patkau Architects in Vancouver; David Sisam, founding principal of Montgomery Sisam Architects in Toronto; and Manon Asselin, founding principal of Atelier TAG in Montreal.
Awards are given for architectural design excellence. Jurors considered the following criteria:
- Physical organization and form, including attention to composition and detail;
- Response to program, site, geographic and/or urban context;
- Innovation in concept, process, materials, building systems and/or implementation;
- Demonstration of exemplary environmental and/or social awareness.
By focusing on commissioned yet unbuilt projects along with exceptional student work, the program recognizes design ambitions and supports an overall culture of design excellence.
Of almost 150 submissions received for this year’s awards program, the jury selected 4 projects for Awards of Excellence and 6 projects for Awards of Merit. In addition, they also selected 2 projects for Student Awards of Excellence.
The winning projects are:
Award of Excellence
- Barry Johns Architecture Limited for Infillhaus in Edmonton, Alberta
- gh3 (lead design architects) with Morrison Hershfield (prime consultants) for North East Transit Garage in Edmonton, Alberta
- KANVA for Elää in Verdun, Quebec
- KANVA for Imago in Montreal, Quebec
Award of Merit
- Leckie Studio Architecture + Design for The Backcountry Hut
- Studio for Transformative Urban Forms and Fields for C House in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 5468796 Architecture for Brewery at The Forks in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Heneghan Peng Architects and Kearns Mancini Architects in collaboration for The Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough, Ontario
- Provencher_Roy and GLCRM Architects for Pavillon d’accueil de l’Assemblée nationale du Québec in Quebec City, Quebec
- Batay-Csorba Architects for Misfit[Fit] in Toronto, Ontario
Student Award of Excellence
- Lőrinc Vass of The University of British Columbia for Constellations of the In-between
- Alec Ring of The University of British Columbia for Polyvalent Adaptations
The award-winning projects will be published in the December 2016 issue of Canadian Architect, available as of December 8 at www.canadianarchitect.com.