LAUREATES – Canadian Architect Magazine – "Awards of Excellence 2013"
“2013 Canadian Architect Awards of Excellence winners announced
Canadian Architect is proud to announce a total of 11 awards in its annual Awards of Excellence program. Architectural firms and students from across Canada received top honours for design proposals that embody qualities of innovation and overall design excellence.
Now in their 46th year, these awards are the highest recognition for excellence in the design stage in the Canadian architectural sector. By focusing on commissioned yet unbuilt projects along with exceptional student work, the program recognizes design ambitions and supports an overall culture of design excellence.
Of the 208 submissions received for this year’s awards program, the jury selected six projects for Awards of Excellence, three projects for Awards of Merit, and two Student Awards of Excellence.
This year’s jury comprised Karen Marler, partner at Hughes Condon Marler Architects (HCMA), Marianne McKenna, founding partner of KPMB Architects, and Marc Simmons, founding partner of Front Inc.
The six winning projects in the Awards of Excellence category are:
* Hariri Pontarini Architects for Casey House in Toronto, Ontario
* Hariri Pontarini Architects with B+H Architects for the University of Toronto Faculty of Law in Toronto, Ontario
* MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects for Branksome Hall Athletics & Wellness Centre in Toronto, Ontario
* Manon Asselin architecte + Jodoin Lamarre Pratte architectes in consortium for Fifth Pavilion—Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in Montreal, Quebec
* office of mcfarlane biggar architects + designers inc. (OMB) for the Fort McMurray International Airport in Fort McMurray, Alberta
* RDH Architects for the Waterdown Library and Civic Centre in Waterdown, Ontario
The three projects receiving an Award of Merit are:
* Pelletier de Fontenay Architectes for the Ouroboros Residence in Dunham, Quebec
* Peter Sampson Architecture Studio and Calnitsky Associates Architects for Gillam Town Centre in Gillam, Manitoba
* RDH Architects for the Guelph Civic Centre Skating Pavilion in Guelph, Ontario
And finally, the two winners in the Student Award of Excellence category are:
* Faisal Bashir of the University of Toronto for Responsive Geometries | Karachi Circular Railway Revival
* Francis Ng of McGill University for Memento Mori: Recalling the Absence of the Catholic Church”
(Source: Canadian Architect)