Exhibit – AIBC – "BienVenue: 2010 Games Architecture at the AIBC Gallery"
« This month, the Architectural Institute of British Columbia will feature a special gallery exhibit that showcases the involvement of British Columbia architects in bringing the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games to life. The exhibit, titled BienVenue: 2010 Games Architecture, will offer a unique behind-the-scenes glimpse of the design process involved in creating games-related venues.
BienVenue: 2010 Games Architecture will feature both competition and non-competition venues – 20 in total – including sport facilities, athlete accommodations, training centres, and cultural pavilions.
“BC’s architectural community has made a significant contribution to the success of the 2010 Games,” explains AIBC Council President Pierre E. Gallant, MAIBC, MRAIC. “Not only that, but these facilities are going to be welcome additions to our communities long after the competitions have ended and the medals handed out. Through this exhibit, people will be able to see the creativity and innovation behind these world-class venues.”
Featured competition venues include:
- Peak 2 Peak Gondola Terminal Buildings – Cannon Design Architecture Inc.
- Richmond Olympic Oval – Cannon Design Architecture Inc.
- UBC Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre – Kasian Architecture Interior Design and Planning Ltd.
- Vancouver Olympic / Paralympic Centre – Hughes Condon Marler Architects
- Whistler Nordic Competition Venue: Ski Jump – CJP Architects Ltd. in conjunction with Sandwell (structural, mechanical and electrical design)
- Whistler Olympic Park – Merrick Architecture (Borowski Lintott Sakumoto Fligg Ltd.)
- Whistler Sliding Centre – Stantec Architecture Ltd.
Featured non-competition venues include:
- BC Place Stadium Renovations – Stantec Architecture Ltd.
- First Nations Pavilion – Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden Architects
- Killarney Ice Rink – Acton Ostry Architects Inc.
- Olympic Legacy Affordable Housing Project – Burrowes Huggins Architects
- Olympic and Paralympic Village Vancouver (Select Projects) – Merrick Architecture (Borowski Lintott Sakumoto Fligg Ltd.), GBL Architects, Nick Milkovich Architects Inc., Walter Francl Architecture Inc., PWL Landscape Architects and Durante Kreuk Ltd.
- The Salt Building – Acton Ostry Architects Inc.
- Trout Lake Community Centre – Walter Francl Architecture Inc.
- Vancouver Convention Centre Expansion Project – DA Architects + Planners, Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership (MCM) + LMN Architects
- Vancouver Olympic Village Plaza – Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden Architects
- Whistler Athletes Village: Cheakamus Crossing « Whitewater » and « The Heights » Townhouses – a|k|a architecture + design inc.
- Whistler Athletes’ High Performance Centre – Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden Architects
- Whistler High Performance Centre: Townhouses and Lodge – Burrowes Huggins Architects
- YVR International Arrivals and Olympic Stores – Stantec Architecture Ltd. »
To continue reading the article…
(Source: Canadian Architect)