« 2012 Canadian Architect Awards of Excellence winners announced
Canadian Architect announces the winners of the 2012 Awards of Excellence, given each year to architects and architectural graduates for buildings in the design stage. One of only two national award programs devoted exclusively to architecture, the Awards of Excellence have recognized significant building projects in Canada on an annual basis since 1968.
This year’s winners have been selected by a jury consisting of Donald Chong of Williamson Chong Architects in Toronto, Marie-Chantal Croft of Coarchitecture in Quebec City, and Bruce Haden of DIALOG in Vancouver.
Awards are given for architectural design excellence. Jurors considered response to the program, site, geographical and social context, and evaluated physical organization, structure, materials and environmental features.
Nine Awards of Excellence were given to the following firms:
* Atelier Big City, Fichten Soiferman et Associés, L’OEUF for the Centre Culturel de Notre-Dame-de-Grâce in Montreal, Quebec
* BattersbyHowat Architects Inc. for the UBC Geological Field School in Oliver, British Columbia
* Dundee Kilmer Integrated Design Team: Joint Venture of architectsAlliance and Kuwabara Payne McKenna Blumberg Architects in association with Daoust Lestage Inc. and MacLennan Jaunkalns Miller Architects for the 2015 Pan Am/Parapan American Games Athletes’ Village | Canary District in Toronto, Ontario
* L’OEUF for the House in Four Fields in La Conception, Quebec
* The Marc Boutin Architectural Collaborative Inc. + el dorado inc (associated architectural firm) for the 1st Street SW Underpass Enhancement in Calgary, Alberta
* Kobayashi + Zedda Architects for the Children’s First Centre in Inuvik, Northwest Territories
* Paul Laurendeau | Francois R Beauchesne | Architectes en Consortium for the Ampthithéâtre Trois-Rivières sur Saint-Laurent in Trois-Rivières, Quebec
* Zeidler Partnership Architects for the GO Roof, Union Station in Toronto, Ontario
* T B A | Thomas Balaban Architecte for the Spa Le St-Jude in Montreal, Quebec »
(Source: Canadian Architect)
(Image: Award of Excellence laureate T B A | Thomas Balaban Architecte for the Spa Le St-Jude in Montreal, Quebec)