« Canadian Architect magazine is proud to announce the winners of its 2019 Awards of Excellence. The annual awards honour design excellence for projects in the design and construction phases, as well as graduating student work.
The projects must be completed by architects residing in Canada, or by graduates of Canadian architecture schools living either in Canada or abroad. Awards are given for architectural design excellence. Jurors will consider the scheme’s response to the client’s program, site, geographic and/or urban context. They will evaluate its physical organization, form, composition, building systems, concept, process, structure, materials, environmental features and/or demonstration of social awareness.
This year’s program also included an architectural photography award.
The jury included Rami Bebawi of KANVA, Joe Lobko of DTAH and Cindy Wilson of LWPAC/Intelligent City. Photographer Ema Peter was an additional member of the jury for the photo awards only.
The winners are:
Awards of Excellence
- ATTAbotics Headquarters / Modern Office of Design + Architecture
- Honey Bee Research Centre / Moriyama & Teshima Architects
- Academic Wood Tower / Patkau Architects + MJMA
- West Don Lands Block 8 / architectsAlliance and COBE Architects
- John Deutsch University Centre Revitalization / HDR + MJMA
Awards of Merit
- Clayton Reservoir / Local Practice Architecture + Design
- IW09 / 5468796
- Thunder Bay Art Gallery Waterfront Relocation Project / Patkau Architects and Brook McIlroy Architects in joint venture
- Bellechasse Transport Centre / Lemay
Student Awards of Excellence
- Coding a Biophillic Core / Cameron Parkin, University of Waterloo
- The Museum of Natural History to Ultima Thule / Brandon Eli John Bergem, University of Toronto
- Listening to Climate Change / Josh Wallace, Carleton University
- Free / Open Source City / Samuel Gendron Fortier, Université de Montréal
- From Matter to Place / Pierre-Olivier Demeule, Université Laval
Photo Award of Excellence
Photo Awards of Merit